The Bombay High Court on Monday closed all its files and reserved its verdict on the petition filed by Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut against the demolition of a part of her bungalow by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation or BMC.
The bench consisted of Justices SJ Kathawalla and RI Chagla who conducted hearings on the plea put forth by Kangana. The hearings were conducted last week before closing it in for orders on Monday.
Ranaut approached the High court on September 9th after the demolition of a part of her bungalow in the Pali Hill area by the BMC.
Her plea was that the demolition should be declared illegal and that the court should direct BMC to pay her a sum of ₹2 crores as compensation for the damages caused. Kangana filed her plea through her counsel Dr. Birendra Saraf. She alleged that the BMC carried out the demolition out of malice following a comment she made against the Mumbai Police which irked the Shiv Sena driven government in Maharashtra.
She also cited an alleged threat passed against her by Shiv Sena’s chief spokesperson Sanjay Raut in an interview given by her. Dr Saraf told the court during the earlier hearings that the demolition activity was carried out on 9th September – the same day as the interview happened.
In defense, Mr. Raut told the court through his counsel Pradeep Thorat that the BMC’s action had nothing to do with the interview given by Ms. Ranaut or any other comments made by her.